verb identifies, identified, identifying
- 1. To recognize someone or something as being a particular person or thing; to establish their or its identity.
- Thesaurus: detect, recognize, know, make out, name, pick out, point out, pinpoint, single out, spot.
- To assign (a plant or animal, etc) to a particular species; to classify.
4. To see clearly or pinpoint (a problem, method, solution, etc).
- That can be identified
- Thesaurus: recognizable, discernible, detectable, ascertainable, distinguishable, unmistakable, known; noticeable, perceptible; Antonym: unfamiliar, unknown.
Phrasal Verb: identify with someone
- To feel sympathy and understanding for (a real or fictional person) because of shared personal characteristics or experiences.To link oneself to them by a process of identification (sense 3).