- 1. The political head of, or a senior politician with responsibilities in, a government department. See also Secretary of State, Minister of State.
2. A member of the clergy in certain branches of the Christian church. Compare priest.
- Thesaurus: pastor, parson, preacher, priest, cleric, ecclesiastic, clergyman, rector, vicar, monk, abbot, curate, missionary; Antonym: layman.
- Thesaurus: diplomat, representative, consul, delegate, envoy.
- A person acting as agent for another, especially in business.
- 1. formal
- To provide someone with help or some kind of service; to take care of them.
- Thesaurus: tend, mind, help, nurse, serve, take care of.
- Form: minister to someone (especially)
- Belonging or relating to, or typical of, a minister or a ministry.
- Example: ministerial duties
- Relating to or having executive authority.