- 1. With the subtraction of (a specified number).
- Example: Eight minus six equals two is usually written as 8 ‐ 6 = 2
- Example: arrived minus his wife
- 1. Negative or less than zero.
2. Said of a student's grade, and placed after the grade: indicating a level slightly below that indicated by the letter.
- Example: got a B minus for my essay
- Characterized by being a disadvantage.
- Example: a minus point
- 1. A sign (‐) indicating a negative quantity or that the quantity which follows it is to be subtracted.
- Form: minus sign
- A negative point; a disadvantage.