- 1a. A large stiff feather from a bird's wing or tail;
1b. The hollow base part of this.
2. A pen that is made by sharpening and splitting the end of a feather, especially a goose feather.
- Form: quill pen (in full)
4. A hollow stem that is made into a musical pipe.
5. A curled tube of cinnamon bark.
6. A bobbin.
7. A plectrum, originally one made from a crow quill, that is used for plucking the strings of a musical instrument, especially a harpsicord.
- 1. To form (material in a ruff) into tubular folds.
2. To wind (thread, etc) on to a bobbin.