- 1. Belonging or relating to Spain, the country in SW Europe which, together with Portugal, form the Iberian peninsula, or to its inhabitants or their language.
- 1. A citizen or inhabitant of, or person born in, Spain.
2. The official language of Spain, and also spoken in the southern USA and Central and S America. See also Hispanic, Spaniard.
- ○ n is pronounced /nj/, as in manana.
- ○ ch is pronounced /tG/, as in macho. The /ma'kNzmoL/ pronunciation of machismo is incorrect; ch should not be pronounced /k/ in any Spanish loanword.
- ○ ll is pronounced /j/, as in Mallorca.
- ○ j is pronounced /x/, as in the name of the Spanish wine Rioja.
- ○ z is pronounced /I/ in European Spanish, as is c when followed by i or e; in American Spanish, both are pronounced /s/.