verb submitted, submitting
1. To surrender; to give in, especially to the wishes or control of another person; to stop resisting them.
- Thesaurus: capitulate, surrender, relinquish, resign, yield, accede, bend, comply, defer, knuckle under, succumb; Antonym: struggle.
- Form: submit to someone (also)
2. To offer (oneself) as a subject for an experiment, treatment, etc.
3a. To offer, suggest or present (eg a proposal) for formal consideration by others;
- Thesaurus: offer, advance, volunteer, tender, proffer, present, suggest, propose, propound.
- Example: He submitted the essay late
- Example: I submit to your better judgement
- Form: submit to someone (usually)