- 1. An open state of armed conflict, especially between nations. Compare cold war.
- Thesaurus: battle, combat, hostilities, fighting, action.
3. A conflict between states, or between parties within a state. See also civil war.
4. Fighting as a science.
5. Open hostility between people.
6. Any long-continued struggle or campaign.
7. Fierce rivalry or competition in business.
- 1. To fight wars.
- Thesaurus: fight, battle, wage war, make war.
- Participating in armed conflict.
- To begin an armed conflict.
To have, or show signs of having, sustained injuries.
warred past tense, past participle of war