within limits Definition
- 1. A point, degree, amount or boundary, especially one which cannot or should not be passed.
- Thesaurus: border, boundary, perimeter, periphery, rim, confine, bound, boundary line; threshold, extent, saturation point, maximum, quota, ceiling, limitation, curb.
3. stock exchange.
- A predetermined price at which a broker is instructed to buy or sell.
- In calculus: a value that is approached increasingly closely, but never reached.
- Example: city limits
7. colloq, sometimes facetious
- Someone or something that is intolerable or extremely annoying.
- Form: the limit
- 1. To be a limit or boundary to someone or something.
- Thesaurus: bound, confine, circumscribe, demarcate.
- Thesaurus: restrain, restrict, bound, confine, constrain, curb.
- Out of bounds.
- (of someone who has been driving) registering more than the permitted level of alcohol in the blood;
- Exceeding the legal speed limit.
- With only a moderate degree of freedom.